Just posting to wish everyone a happy, safe and healthy year. Hopefully, 2013 will be better than 2012. For me, it certainly can’t get much worse.
I will try to update more in the coming year. This past year has been a challenge, in many ways. Between the hurricane that wiped me out at home and at the storage garage and the shop which turned out to be the worst decision I’ve ever made, things haven’t gone all that well. I once again need to reevaluate my situation and decide which way it will go. I have a few opportunities, some of which have nothing to do with cars, motorcycles or other modes of transportation.
I’ve been too busy lately….
On the weekends, I’m working on my van. I did the rear gullwing door, but it needs to be finished. The door itself was a little rough to begin with (2 doors, actually). Welding them together caused a little more warpage than it should have as the right door was off another van and it was hit previously. I had forgotten that until it buckled during welding. I had to heat shrink it. I also changed my mind on the power actuators. I installed gas shocks instead. This required a working door latch. I used the existing lower door latch and installed a solenoid to actuate it. After a few tweaks, it works better than the factory latch did.
I also fixed the damage from the texting mom that said she didn’t see me when she made a left directly into the side of my van. The final part of that was the leaf spring that finally snapped. I still have to do the other side. That’s next weekend, maybe…..
So, I added a DVD player to the passenger side of the dash, just under the LCD TV I made a mounting spot for. I also added a remote holder for the DVD player. I will insert pictures HERE as soon as possible. There are quite a few. They will also be HERE
Please VOTE (That’s a link) for James and his Matrix to go to SEMA.
If you’re on Facebook (who isn’t these days?), please take a second and vote. He needs about 20 more votes, so just go do it, please. You can vote once a day, so go back every day and vote for him. This is a cool car with lots of custom work done. It wins trophies every time it goes to a show. He goes to national shows, not just the local ones. I did the Lambo doors, the flip hood and some other custom work to it. See more HERE
I did this in about an hour. The first picture is before I started. The primer in the next few shots is from filling in the old antenna hole:
I used a piece of motorcycle frame tubing for the new antenna hole. The Cadillac power antenna was welded to the frame tubing, then the tubing was leveled and welded in to the fender. Then, a little filler (mostly to fill in the grinder marks), and primer:
To see other custom work being done on this van:
OK, so I scrapped the 69 Shelby sequential signal module as it stopped working a day after I installed it. The left side stopped sequencing, one bulb at a time. I had to bypass it on the left side. The right side still worked, but what good is that? I found a module setup for a 2004 Mustang on eBay. It is a brand new unit (actually 2, 1 for each side), made when I ordered it (and fairly cheap). Much better than the 43 year old used unit I had. The new sequential signals are already installed and working.
The taillights were welded in on Saturday, June 30th. Saturdays are the only days I can work on the van right now. The next Saturday, we attacked the bodywork. I wanted to get it in primer at least. We accomplished that. There are some minor touch-ups left, but the taillights are basically done, ready for paint. The next step is the gullwing door, the 99 GMC Suburban grille setup and front bumper, extending the hood, adding the Z-28 fender vents, attacking the body damage on the driver side and what to do about the rear side marker lights. The front is getting 1978-1981 Camaro side markers, welded in instead of bolted in. I’m thinking Chevy bow ties Frenched into the body for the rears, but we’ll see… Then, I’ll get to the side and front doors and the roof, which is another major issue. It looks like a house fell on the roof….
I’m still working on the dash. I added a secondary DVD player to the passenger side of the dash, just under the LCD TV. I may add a pocket for the remote to hang out in… Next is the heater vent issue. The new stereo pod replaced the area where the central heater vents came through the dash and the LCD TV on the right side did the same for that vent. I found some RV heater vents that should work, with some tweaking.
I also have to wire up the driver side door switches from the 2000 Blazer, plus add the solenoid to pop the door and weld in the outside handle area. I added the door release switch to the passenger side door, but that side still needs the new door panel as well. The side and rear barn doors are a whole other project. They need to be welded together and hinged at the top, then actuators need to be installed.
More info can be found HERE
Anyway, the taillights are in, wired up with the 69 Shelby sequential signal module, and working…
Pictures can be seen here: Caddy Taillights
I’m very pleased to announce that 4 of my sister’s photos have been chosen for the Rockaway Artists Alliance “5 Boros Show.” Opening reception is this Sunday from 12-4, Ft. Tilden, Rockaway. It’s not far from the beach, so come check out the art, have a glass of wine and then go for a swim! Not necessarily in that order.
See the link above for more information